ON THE MENU is a collection of the unique foods I have come across on my international travels – sometimes mouth watering, at times stomach turning and often downright bizarre
Street food is common and affordable in Cambodia and varies between the delicious $1 plate of noodles or rice at the local market, to the less appealing insects or spiders on road-side stalls. On my first visit to Cambodia in 2008 I was feeling adventurous and decided to experiment with ‘spider cooked in garlic’, with the garlic being the over-riding taste and making it rather uneventful experience (but one I have not felt the need to repeat on subsequent visits). Whilst living in Cambodia for 6 months in 2009/2010 and on subsequent return visits it was harder to avoid the different variety of insects as they were often part of a ‘buffet’ style dinner at the guesthouse I stay at in Siem Reap – and I always try to be a grateful guest!
As far as international menu items go – these aren’t foods I would put at the top of the list, but on the positive side at least you know what you are putting in your mouth – which is not always the case when you order a dish with ‘meat’ in it!
Latest posts by Kellie Netherwood (see all)
- Exploring East Greenland: Dancing Skies (The Northern Lights) - October 12, 2016
- Exploring East Greenland: Reflections at the end of Nordvestfjord - October 8, 2016
- Exploring East Greenland: Sunrise & Icebergs at Scoresby Sund - October 2, 2016
- Exploring East Greenland: Into the Fog at Stewart Island - September 28, 2016
- Exploring East Greenland: Light on Segelsällskap Fjord - September 25, 2016